Andrada in Malaga

 

Hi there! 
Starting from the beginning. I'm Andrada, 32 years old mom of 2 little amazing girls Iris and Alis ♥️ I am a junior stylist in Bife college and I love this course so far. 
When I first heard about Erasmus I had no idea what it was. I looked it up and i was like THIS IS AMAZING! but no way I would have this chance of being selected for this programme. Big big surprise for me when I actually was selected. Couldn't believe it. I was so excited but so nervous in the same time. I started to read more about it so I could have an idea of what is expecting me when I get there. The fact that I would have to work in a foreign country and not know the language scared me a bit. I then took the spanish lessons so I would at least have a small idea of the basic words and sentences. I realised that I knew more than I tought so I feld a bit more confident. I was worried about what i would be asked to do in the salon that I was going to work. I hoped that they would be nice people and that they speak a bit of English as well. 
The day of the trip came and there we were. 13 students of different ages and different courses expecting to fly to one of the most beautiful cities in Spain.
Sunday - first day in Malaga - was a great day! I was, like everyone else I think, just very nervous, not knowing what to expect and how things will be. After we landed, someone waited to pick us up from the airport then dropped us in Malaga city centre, where Ricard was waiting for us. We then had the induction meeting where he explained what we are going to do for the next few days. I was so surprised how organised everything was, even the taxis that took us to our different apartments. 
The actual location of our apartment is absolutely amazing. Right in the centre of the city, literally around the corner we have all the restaurants, cafes and plazas. We had a tour of the touristic area in Malaga. Learned so many new things and saw beautiful  and interesting places like the Picasso Museum. After that a few of us and Louise we went to an amazing restaurant called Los Gatos, where we had great fun, great food and great drinks , lots of them for FREE! Totally recommend that place ! 
Monday 14th of February! We had in the schedule that we have to meet Ricard and then he will take each of us to the work plan to see where it is and to get introduced to our new colleagues. The salon that I work is called Gonzalo Anea Peluqueria and it's a very nice looking place to work. My first impression was that is so nicely decorated and very very clean. In the salon workes Gonzalo (the owner) and an extremely nice girl called Vanessa. From the moment we met we connected and she sensed that I am nervous. She did her best to make me feel more relaxed and help me with anything that I feel uncomfortable doing. 
Well ... here it comes the first day of work. 
Tuesday morning I get to work ( almost an hour early) and wait in front of the place with such nervous feelings. I met Gonzalo and then clients started to came in for their appointments. Vanessa introduced me to each of them. She asked me what I have learned so far to do. She then let me apply colour to a ladys hair straight away. I did a great job and she was happy with my work. Then for the next 4 hours I kept myself busy, I have blow dried and shampooed clients hair. Vanessa vas very helpful for the whole time. Forgot to say that she speaks a bit of English! Gonzalo unfortunately for me he, doesn't.  But I was able to communicate with them perfectly because I can understand quite a lot of Spanish and I actually was able to have a conversation with one of the clients while I did her hair. 
Later in the evening we got to see a Flamenco show. We got to experience a but of the Spanish culture wich was really great. I have enjoyed it 🤩
Wednesday had a great day at work again. Met more clients and I did their hair colour, shampooed and blow dried theyr hair. I had a very nice surprise from Gonzalo and Vanessa. They did my hair, colour, highlights and blowdry  as a 0resrnt for me from them. That was very nice of them, madecmr really happy. Thursday after work we had arranged to visit Alcazaba. Alcazaba is a palatino fortification. The views over Malaga from there were incredible. 
Saturday we went to visit Cordoba. One amazing, historical city. It is famous around the world for it's Great Mosque. Its historic old town is a World Heritage site, full of little streets to be explored, courtyards full of flowers, inviting squares and lively taverns where you can enjoy a good flemenco performance or try the local cuisine. Definitely recommend the fried aubergine with the special honey on top - delicious! 
Saturday evening we arranged to have some drinks on a roof top cafe. There we got a beautifull view of the Alcazaba on night time. 
Sunday - first day off in Malaga. I took this day to rest and just chill after the busy Saturday I had. 
A new began. Work is going ok, probably the only think i could say that is a bit disappointing for me is that it is a very very quiet salon. So I don't have much to do. I do try and ask Gonzalo to explain about the different techniques he uses when he colours hair, blowdries and cuts hair. What I noticed that these techniques are sooo muc different than in Ireland. For example the blowdries - they start at the top of the head and make their way to the back. We do it the exact opposite. It is interesting to watch him do these in his own way, definitely have something to learn. I have told him the way we do it but he thinks his way is better 😁. I try and show him the ways that I am learning in school, the way we section hair for highlights, the way we do ballayages and how we can achieve some depths and a more natural look. 
Tuesday we went to the beach sport event. Because it was quite windy on the beach I couldn't stay to long as I was freezing. Should have brought a jacket with me 🤷‍♀️ 
Wednesday and Thursday I just chilled after worked and then went for a walk and then for a nice meal for the dinner. 
On thursday we also had scheduled the sunset from the Gibralfaro mountain but because it was raining it got cancelled. Me, Tammy and Becky rented the electric scooters and went for a ride all along the beach up to the other side of the Malaga seafront. We had soo much fun with that, it didn't even matter that we got soaked from the rain. 
On Saturday we went to visit Nerja and Frigiliana, 2 beautiful cities with some breathtaking views.  Frigiliana is a small town on the mountain with little narrow streets and beautiful views. I tasted there one their signature wines, a sweet and a semi sweet red wine. We then went to Nerja and visited the Europe's balcony, amazing view to the ocean and the cliffs around that. Had some great food and a lovely smoothie after that. In the evening we went out to watch the carnaval but it was just too crowded and so we went for some drinks and we ended up having great fun till morning. 
Sunday I had a nice coffee and a cake and after that just chill afternoon. Monday we had off work because there was a bank holiday, Andalucia's days. 

Last 3 days of work in Malaga went by very fast but slow in the same time. I definitely started to feel home sick even more than before. Probably that is because we are si close of going back to our families and our old life. O can't even describe how much I miss my 2 daughters and my husband. I feel so happy that its finally time to go back but in the same time a bit sad that all this is coming to an end. Not long now... just a few more days. 
Tried to make the most of these few days, went for walks along the beach, did some gift shopping for the family and friends, went for some more nice food and drinks with the others. Tuesday we went for the boat trip. It was a very relaxing and calming experience mostly when we witnessed one beautiful sunset from the middle of the ocean. Breathing!!!! 
The day before the last day, we were unlucky and it rained in the evening when we were supposed to go again and see the sunset from the mountain. Instead we met with Sarah for a drink and a nice time with the rest of the group. 
Friday at last! Flight is at 9.20 PM... so we still have the whole day to spend in Malaga. Finished packing, left the apartment at noon and then dropped the baggage at one location that Sarita told us to. We are left with just a few more hours for ourselves, to enjoy a nice lunch in the sun and do a bit of last minute shopping. 
The terrace me, Becky, Tammy and Caitlyn had our first lunch when we arrived in Malaga was the same we had our last lunch in Malaga. The best way to end this! 

For me the flight felt like forever. I just couldn't wait any longer to hug my family. With tears in my eyes was cheking my phone every 10 minutes. I tried to sleep but I couldn't unfortunately. 
The moment came ... and FINALLY I see them, I hug and kiss them.I have cried for at least 15 minutes while hugging and kissing my beautiful girls. This is what I dreamed for for the last 3 weeks of my life. Malaga was amazing - but not as amazing as being with my family ♥️ 

I have to thank Erasmus for this amazing, life changing, eye opening experience! 
I've made memories, I've met wonderfull people, I've made friends, I've seen places that probably I've never have seen them if it wasn't for this opportunity, and It made me feel that nothing its impossible and it's never too late to start something. This what I said in my interview I had with Louise and Richard, that it's never to late to go back to school and continue your education and that if you work hard enough, good things will happen and the universe will make your dreams came true some way.. you just have to have a goal and work hard towards that goal. I have worked so hard and it paid off! I couldn't be happier to be apart of this experience toghether with some great colleagues. 
I also have to to thank everyone from the European Era, Ricard, Miguel and Sarita for making this experience for us an unforgettable one! They we re amazing! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

¡La Chica Blanca en España!

Millie in Malaga

El jefe guiar para Málaga.